I was always thinking by myself, while we can make cakes with different vegetables such as carrots, spinach, and zucchini why we can not make with others as well.
Beetroot is my favorite Fall vegetable and I always have it cooked in the fridge, making different meals, so I wanted to try a sweet recipe with it as well. Searched online and reviewed many books and tried different recipes but liked this one that I’m sharing with you.
the cake itself is moist and delicious, you will not prefer more sweetness by adding glaze or icing but if you like you can. I am personally not a fan of icing, the soft and light cream also suits this cake well as you see. Try to keep it always simple, because it is elegant.
for garnish you can simply use any Fall fruit which you desire, they are all colorful. I used pomegranate, persimmon slices, some strawberry slices, and blueberries, added some rosemary leaves. Quite simple, colorful, and beautiful. What do you think?
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil or mixed butter and oil
1 cup sour cream or as a substitute add 3/4 cup yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup water 2 eggs
3 tablespoons of beetroot purée (mix the juice of beetroot with slices of beetroot in a food processor and keep it in the fridge. You can use it as a puree or you can sieve and use the juicy part as a food coloring)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
35% heavy cream one pack and fruits for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 /150
- Grease and line a round 8 inches cake pan with parchment paper.
- Mix all dry ingredients and set aside.
- Beat oil and sour cream in a mixing bowl,
- Add eggs and beat.
- Add beetroot puree and beat well
- Add vanilla and vinegar and beat a little bit.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix well. Do not overmix, just till well combined.
- Pour into the round 8 inches cake pan lined with parchment paper
- Bake ake for abou45 minutes till one hour
- after cooling cut in 3 layers.
- Whip the cream with one tablespoon powdered sugar and place between the layers and then cover the top and sides just with a single layer of cream.
- Garnish with fruits.