Time is chocolate lovers time.
For me, everyday is a chocolate day, what about you? Sometimes I wish I could eat chocolate every single second of my life. I tried a lot of different recipes of chocolate cake, but this grandma recipe is easy to follow. I shared this recipe for almost entire my family and friends and whenever they have a party and they want to make something from scratch, this cake will be on top of their dessert menu. The only thing they use is their passion and creativity to create new desserts with same recipe and they always share it with me, and it makes me so happy. I’m waiting for your comments, suggestions and recommendations too.
Although I’m not a person of kitchen measurements for cake baking but this time, I will share with you the quantities as cup or teaspoon or pinch. It’s a grandma recipe (as I told you) and I’m sure you all have a grandma recipe at home that you always use it, so you will understand what I mean, but if you need the exact quantities, write in the comments please, and I will change them into gr or ml and I will share with you.
It’s time to start:
Ingredients for the basic cake:
- 125 gr butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar (It’s granulated sugar but I use brown sugar. It helps for softness of the cake)
- 2 eggs (at room temperature for at least 30 minutes)
- 2 tablespoon Instant coffee (it’s optional, it was not in main recipe, but I add whenever I have at home and it helps for the better taste)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup milk (at room temperature)
- 1 ¼ cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven at 375˚F
- Stir the soft butter and sugar till they are light and fluffy (with the electric mixer at high speed)
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat one minute after each
- Add the instant coffee and mix for a minute*
- Add the cocoa powder and stir with spatula or wooden spoon (after this step don’t use the electric mixer, use spatula or spoon)
- Add the milk
- Combine the flour and baking powder together and sift them into the batter
- Mix completely with the spoon
- Pour your cake mix into the cake pan (use vegetable oil spray for greasing your pan)*
Bake for 25-30 minutes or till the cake tester (toothpick) comes out clean. Turn off the oven and leave the cake for 5-10 more minutes inside the oven. Then pull it out leave on the counter for about 10-15 minutes then transfer your cake on the wire rack to cool down completely.
- *: See the notes
Now it’s ready for decoration….*
Ingredients for decoration:
Easy and simple
- whipped cream
- 2 drops of Wilton green gel food coloring
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Whisk the whipped cream and powdered sugar together by using the electric mixer in high speed, add food coloring and beat a little more till it firms. Refrigerate it for half an hour. Meanwhile prepare your cake.
Cut your cake horizontally into two or three layers (it depends on the height of your cake)
Put the cream on the first layer and with a help of spatula fill the surface of layer, add strawberry slices and walnuts and put the other piece of cake on it, repeat the same step for the second layer also and put the third layer on it. Cover all surface and around the cake with green whipped cream and decorate it with blueberry and blackberry as you wish.
For the instant coffee you can warm 1/3 of your milk and solve your coffee in, then add it to your cake mix. For the pan, I use the round 23 cm mould with a depth of 4 cm (it’s good enough for this recipe). For this cake I doubled my quantities and I used 2 same size moulds and I cut each cake into 2 layers, so I have a 4-layer cake here. I filled each layer with cream, walnut and strawberry and the top one is covered by cream, blueberry and blackberry. You can use other icings like buttercream but I prefer whipped cream here, because I wanted a very light cake.