This is a sweet bread which goes very well with tea and coffee. The mixture of cinnamon and sugar always makes difference. Easy to make and no risk if you follow the instruction.
Ingredients for dough:
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredient for filling:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 110 g softened butter
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- mix 3/4 cup lukewarm milk with 1 teaspoon sugar
- sprinkle the dry yeast over the milk and leave it on the table for 10 minutes. Do not mix
- In the bowl of stand mixer mix the melted butter, egg, sugar, and yogurt
- in a bowl mix 3 2/3 cups of flour with salt. Set aside the rest of the flour. You will use it if needed.
- add half of the flour mixture to the mixer bowl and mix
- add the activated yeast mixture and mix till just combined, not more
- with the paddle head of the mixer, add the rest of the flour mixture and mix at medium speed for 4-5 minutes.
- The dough will be soft but not sticky. Add the remaining flour if needed but usually, you will not need it.
- Grease a bowl and place the dough, cover it loosely and leave at room temperature for about 1 hour. It will be double in size.
Note: if you are using a hand mixer, you will need to knead the dough on the table for 5-10 minutes.
After one hour, roll down the dough on the working surface as a 12*25 inches rectangle
cover the dough with the softened butter, except one long side for about 2 cm left
spread the sugar and cinnamon mixture over the butter,
brush the empty long side with the beaten egg and start rolling from the other long side to this side, then press the sides together to make it tight.
About 2 cm from the top of the dough, cut the dough longwise, then twist two parts.
If you like the round twisted bread, put it in the round 9 inches cake pan bringing two ends of the twist together. Or you can place it in a loaf pan to have a cinnamon loaf bread.
Cover and leave at room temperature for another 30 minutes.
egg wash is optional.
Preheat the oven to 175 /350 and bake for about 50-55 minutes. After 20 minutes cover the top with a foil to avoid burning. It is done when the tester comes out clean.
let it cool down for 20 minutes then unmold it.