- Instant yeast 1 tablespoon or one pack
- Sugar 1 teaspoon
- Lukewarm milk ½ cup
- Yogurt 1 cup
- Egg 1
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- All-purpose flour 3 ½ cup (maybe a little bit more, it depends on the strength of the flour)
- Ground ginger 1 tablespoon
- Egg yolk 1
- Sesame (black & white) optional
- Melted chocolate (for bunny) optional
- Preheat the oven at 370˚F
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Solve the sugar in lukewarm milk and add the yeast. Don’t mix or stir, spread the yeast over the milk and leave on the table for 10 minutes till activated.
Note: Although you are using the instant yeast it is better to first activate it. In this case, you will make sure that your yeast is fresh and active then you will get better results.
- Mix the egg, yogurt and baking powder.
- Mix the flour and ground ginger.
- When the yeast is ready, stir in yogurt mixture and then add flour gradually till reach a soft and non-sticky dough.
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Rest at room temperature for 2 hours.
- You will reach a dough double in size.
- Spread a bit of flour on a work table and knead the dough properly.
- Divide it into 10 pieces.
- Shape them as balls or be creative and make mini bunnies.
Note: For bunnies,b you can simply make long ropes and shape as ears around the bun.
- Place all buns or bunny buns on a baking sheet.
- Egg wash them (1 egg yolk beat with one spoon of water) and bake till gets golden for about 25 minutes.
You can add sesame on top of the bread, use the black sesame as eyes and mouth or bake plain.
You can make eyes and mouth after baking with melted chocolate as well. It’s completely optional.
The buns have a soft texture and a strong taste of ginger.