As we all know, French people are very professional in making pastries, and if I’m talking about pastry, I mean all sort of sweets to be honest, including different type of lemon pastries as well, such as lemon pie or tarte au citron, lemon meringue, lemon cake, and lemon slices. Today I will share with you a very special French granny recipe which I learned from my friend’s grandma. The lemon aroma around the home is really mouth-watering!!!!!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125 gr butter, cold and chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind (lemon zest)
- 1 cup lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 ˚C or 350˚F
- Place the flour, butter, vanilla, and sugar in the bowl of the food processor and mix till dough comes together.
- Press into the lightly greased 20cm * 30 cm slice tin lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160˚C
The dough will be a little bit dry and crumbly. Don’t worry, it comes together when you press it into the tin.
Preparing lemon filling:
- Place the eggs and extra egg yolks in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add sugar, flour, lemon zest, and lemon juice and whisk until smooth.
- Pour over the baked crust and bake for more 30 minutes at 160˚C or till just set.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or till firm.
- Dust with powdered sugar as a garnish to serve.
Note: Don’t leave the slice in the oven for a long time. Right after you notice that it set, remove from the oven. It will be firmed in the fridge.
If you like more sour taste than sweet, you can easily reduce the amount of sugar for filling. Nothing will happen!!! It tastes amazing!!